Add a fresh twist to classic pea and ham soup with the addition of mint leaves and spices.
The ingredient of Minted pea & ham soup
- 20g (1 tablespoon) butter
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 500g (2 1/2 cups) green split peas
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
- 1kg ham bones
- 10 fresh mint sprigs, coarsely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh mint leaves, to garnish
The instruction how to make Minted pea & ham soup
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook onion for 5 minutes or until soft. Place split peas in a strainer and rinse under cold running water until it runs clear. Drain.
- Add split peas and mustard powder to the saucepan and stir until combined. Add ham bones and 1.5 litres (6 cups) water, or enough to cover ingredients in the pan. Bring to the boil, add mint sprigs and reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Remove ham bones from saucepan. Remove ham meat from bones and shred into bite-sized pieces. Discard bones and reserve meat.
- Puree soup in batches in a food processor or blender. Return soup to the saucepan over medium heat, add reserved meat and reheat. Season to taste with pepper.
- Ladle into soup bowls, garnish with mint leaves and serve with lemon pepper lavoche bread.
Nutritions of Minted pea & ham soupcalories: 443.106 calories
calories: 7 grams fat
calories: 3 grams saturated fat
calories: 58 grams carbohydrates
calories: 4 grams sugar
calories: 30 grams protein
calories: 11 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 41.79 milligrams sodium