Packed with vegetables, this healthy soup is hearty enough to be a meal on its own.
The ingredient of Borlotti bean and bread soup
- 305g (1 1/2 cups) dried borlotti beans
- 3L (12 cups) cold water
- 55g (3/4 cup) fresh ciabatta breadcrumbs (made from day-old bread)
- 375ml (1 1/2 cups) Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 1 large brown onion, halved, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed, coarsely chopped
- 1 large (about 200g) carrot, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup loosely packed coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 small fresh red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 6 slices ciabatta, to serve
The instruction how to make Borlotti bean and bread soup
- Place the beans in a large glass or ceramic bowl and cover with plenty of cold water. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside overnight to soak. Drain.
- Place beans and half the water in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, place the breadcrumbs in a bowl. Add the stock and set aside to soak.
- Drain all but 250ml (1 cup) liquid from the beans. Add the remaining water along with the onion, celery, carrot, garlic, tomato, parsley, tomato paste, chilli and breadcrumb mixture. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in lemon juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Ladle among bowls and serve with ciabatta.
Nutritions of Borlotti bean and bread soupcalories: 285.605 calories
calories: 2.5 grams fat
calories: 0.5 grams saturated fat
calories: 47 grams carbohydrates
calories: 17 grams protein