Fortify yourself for the cooler months with Jill Dupleixs hearty and versatile lentil soup.
The ingredient of Lifesaving lentil soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 1 leek (pale part only), thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup (200g) green lentils or brown lentils, rinsed, drained
- 2L (8 cups) Massel vegetable liquid stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (pimenton) (see note)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Crusty bread, to serve
The instruction how to make Lifesaving lentil soup
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the leek, carrot and celery, then cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add the lentils and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 1 hour, skimming the surface occasionally, until the lentils are tender.
- Add the tomato, cannellini beans, coriander, paprika and some salt and pepper to the pan, then cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 20 minutes or until soup is thick. Taste for spices and seasoning, then stir in half the parsley.
- Divide soup among shallow bowls and top with remaining parsley, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and freshly ground pepper. Serve with crusty bread.
Nutritions of Lifesaving lentil soupcalories: 373.557 calories
calories: 13 grams fat
calories: 2 grams saturated fat
calories: 35 grams carbohydrates
calories: 9 grams sugar
calories: 22 grams protein
calories: 2094.81 milligrams sodium