This hearty soup is full of vitamins and nutrients which make it real food for the soul.
The ingredient of Spicy lentil and chicken soup
- 310g (1 1/2 cups) dried split red lentils
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 800g corn-fed chicken thighs on the bone, skin removed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1L (4 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1L (4 cups) water
- 2 400g cans crushed tomatoes
- Salt & ground black pepper, to taste
The instruction how to make Spicy lentil and chicken soup
- Place the lentils in a sieve and rinse under cold running water until the water runs clear. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic, and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until the vegetables soften slightly. Add the chicken, cumin and cayenne pepper. Cook, turning occasionally, for 3-5 minutes or until the chicken begins to brown.
- Stir in the stock, water and tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Use a pair of tongs to transfer the chicken to a clean board. Stir the lentils into the soup and cook, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until the lentils are cooked.
- Remove the chicken meat from the bones. Break into small pieces and return to the soup. Cook for 1 minute or until the chicken is heated through. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
Nutritions of Spicy lentil and chicken soupcalories: 423.269 calories
calories: 15 grams fat
calories: 29 grams carbohydrates
calories: 39 grams protein
calories: 1151.42 milligrams sodium