A warming and delicious cool weather soup, this hearty ham soup will leave you feeling souper!.
The ingredient of Ham, barley and vegetable soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 (about 600g) smoked ham hock
- 10 cups water
- 1 cup pearl barley, rinsed, drained
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery sticks, sliced
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- Crusty bread, to serve
The instruction how to make Ham, barley and vegetable soup
- Heat oil in a large, deep saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until soft. Add ham hock and water. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Add barley to the pan. Simmer, uncovered, for a further 40 minutes. Add carrots, celery and zucchini and continue to cook for 20 minutes or until the meat starts to fall off the bone. Remove ham hock from soup and set aside to cool slightly. Remove pan from heat.
- Once meat is cool enough to handle, remove flesh. Shred or chop. Return to the pan. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Return pan to low heat and stir until heated through.
- Divide soup among serving bowls. Serve with bread.
Nutritions of Ham, barley and vegetable soupcalories: 187.615 calories
calories: 4 grams fat
calories: 1 grams saturated fat
calories: 30 grams carbohydrates
calories: 3 grams sugar
calories: 4 grams protein
calories: 45.29 milligrams sodium