Ward off those winter blues with this power soup, packed with sweet potato, barley and kale.
The ingredient of Vegan super soup
- 60ml (1/4 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, trimmed, halved lengthways, thinly sliced
- 1 celery stick, trimmed, coarsely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 350g sweet potato, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1.5L (6 cups) vegan stock (see notes)
- 220g (1 cup) pearl barley, rinsed
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 large sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 cups loosely packed purple kale leaves, torn
- 60g (1/3 cup) blanched almonds, toasted
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
The instruction how to make Vegan super soup
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add the onion. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the leek, celery, carrot and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are soft but not golden.
- Increase heat to high. Add the sweet potato and stir to coat. Add the stock, 1L (4 cups) water, barley, bay leaves and rosemary. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes or until the soup is thick and the barley is tender. Taste and season.
- While the soup is cooking, make the pistou. Process the almonds and garlic in a small food processor until coarsely chopped. Add the basil, a large pinch of sea salt flakes and half of the oil. Process until nearly smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the remaining oil. Cover and set aside until needed.
- Stir the kale through the soup and cook until just wilted. Dollop the soup with the pistou.
Nutritions of Vegan super soupcalories: