A little planning and imagination can go a long way with this budget-friendly beef and rice noodle soup.
The ingredient of Shredded beef and rice-noodle soup
- 800g beef chuck steak
- 1/2 cup (125ml) shaoxing wine
- 1/4 cup (60ml) dark soy sauce
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 strips orange peel
- 5cm piece ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cups (1 litre) chicken consomme
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 50g yellow rock sugar (see Notes)
- 1 bunch choy sum, coarsely chopped
- 200g fresh rice noodle sheets, cut into 3cm strips
- 4 green onions, trimmed, thinly sliced
- Coriander leaves, to serve
The instruction how to make Shredded beef and rice-noodle soup
- Combine the beef, wine, dark soy sauce, onion, garlic, orange peel, ginger, star anise and cinnamon in a glass or ceramic bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge overnight to marinate.
- Transfer the beef mixture to a large wok or saucepan. Add the chicken consomme, light soy sauce and sugar. Place over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 2 hours or until beef is tender. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the beef to a large bowl. Use 2 forks to coarsely shred the beef. Return the beef to the soup with the choy sum. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, place the rice noodles in a large heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water and set aside for 5 minutes to soak. Drain well.
- Divide the noodles among serving bowls. Ladle over the soup. Top with green onions and coriander leaves. Serve immediately.
Nutritions of Shredded beef and rice-noodle soupcalories: 510.743 calories
calories: 12 grams fat
calories: 5 grams saturated fat
calories: 35 grams carbohydrates
calories: 24 grams sugar
calories: 54 grams protein
calories: 147 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 3263.39 milligrams sodium