Enjoy the flavours of France in your kitchen this winter.
The ingredient of French onion soup with cheesy toasties
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup caramelised onion (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 litre Massel beef style liquid stock
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 20g butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 90g gruyere cheese, coarsely grated
The instruction how to make French onion soup with cheesy toasties
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add caramelised onion. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until heated through. Add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in wine. Simmer, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until wine reduces by half and mixture is very thick. Stir in stock. Cover. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or until soup is slightly thickened. Season with pepper.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill on high. Place bread on a baking tray. Toast for 1 minute or until golden. Turn over. Spread toast with butter, then mustard. Sprinkle with gruyere. Grill for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden.
- Arrange toast on soup. Serve immediately.
Nutritions of French onion soup with cheesy toastiescalories: 665.615 calories
calories: 28.4 grams fat
calories: 13 grams saturated fat
calories: 67.6 grams carbohydrates
calories: 21.3 grams protein
calories: 44 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 2117 milligrams sodium