This traditional Asian soup makes a hearty meal with the noodles and chicken balls.
The ingredient of Chicken ball and rice noodle soup
- 125g rice vermicelli
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 325g (about 2 large) chicken thigh fillets, excess fat removed, cut into 5cm pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1L (4 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 2 tablespoons mirin (rice wine)
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 65g (1/2 cup) bean sprouts, ends trimmed if desired
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 2 green shallots, cut into 5cm lengths, finely shredded
- 2 small fresh red chillies, thinly sliced diagonally
The instruction how to make Chicken ball and rice noodle soup
- Place the rice vermicelli in a large heatproof bowl and cover with plenty of boiling water. Set aside for 10 minutes to soften slightly. Place the mushrooms in a small heatproof bowl. Pour over 125ml (1/2 cup) boiling water and set aside for 10 minutes to soak.
- Meanwhile, place the chicken in the bowl of a food processor and process until finely minced. Add the chopped coriander, ginger and garlic, and process until well combined. Use wet hands to shape into 20 walnut-sized balls. Transfer to a plate, cover and set aside.
- Drain the mushrooms and reserve the liquid. Squeeze excess moisture from mushrooms. Remove hard stalks and discard, and thinly slice the caps. Place mushrooms, reserved mushroom liquid and stock in a large sauce-pan. Add mirin and soy sauce and bring to the boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the chicken balls and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until the chicken balls are just cooked through.
- Meanwhile, drain the vermicelli and use kitchen scissors to cut it into shorter lengths. Add the vermicelli to the pan and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for a further 3 minutes or until heated through. Stir through half of the bean sprouts and half of the coriander leaves.
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls and top with remaining bean sprouts, remaining coriander leaves, green shallots and chillies. Serve immediately.
Nutritions of Chicken ball and rice noodle soupcalories: 184.508 calories
calories: 6 grams fat
calories: 2 grams saturated fat
calories: 9 grams carbohydrates
calories: 1 grams sugar
calories: 21 grams protein
calories: 1805.33 milligrams sodium