Traditional miso soup is given a gourmet twist with the addition of black mussels.
The ingredient of Miso soup with mussels, nori and tofu
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1L (4 cups) water
- 1 tablespoon mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- 16 small black mussels, debearded, scrubbed
- 60g (2 1/2 tablespoons) white miso paste
- 150g firm silken tofu, drained well on paper towel, cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 sheets nori, halved, cut crossways into 1cm-wide strips
- 2 green shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally
The instruction how to make Miso soup with mussels, nori and tofu
- Place sesame seeds in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until lightly toasted. Remove from heat. Place in a bowl and set aside until required.
- Add the water and mirin to the same pan and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Add the mussels and cook, covered, for 2-4 minutes or until they open (discard any that stay closed). Use tongs to transfer mussels to a plate. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to low and stir the miso into the cooking liquid and use a whisk to combine. Bring to a gentle simmer (do not boil) and add the sesame seeds and tofu. Sprinkle over the nori strips, stirring gently to prevent the strips from sticking together. Simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the green shallots.
- Divide the mussels among serving bowls and ladle over the hot miso soup. Serve immediately.
Nutritions of Miso soup with mussels, nori and tofucalories: 179.25 calories
calories: 6 grams fat
calories: 1 grams saturated fat
calories: 16 grams carbohydrates
calories: 12 grams sugar
calories: 14 grams protein
calories: 12 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 829.48 milligrams sodium