This tasty low-fat soup is hearty enough to be eaten as a meal on its own.
The ingredient of Cauliflower, bacon and split pea soup
- 1 250g pkt dried yellow split peas
- 1 175g pkt lean bacon, fat trimmed, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1.25L (5 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 medium (about 400g) cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 300g natural yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- Ground black pepper, to taste
The instruction how to make Cauliflower, bacon and split pea soup
- Place the split peas in a large bowl and cover with plenty of cold water. Cover and set aside for 6 hours to soak. (See microwave tip.)
- Cook the bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until golden. Add the coriander and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until aromatic.
- Drain the split peas and add to the pan with the stock, onion and garlic. Bring to the boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the split peas are tender.
- Add cauliflower to pan and cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender.
- Meanwhile, combine 1/3 of the yoghurt, the cumin and 1 tablespoon of the chives in a small bowl.
- Remove the soup from the heat, taste and season with pepper. Stir the remaining yoghurt into the soup until just combined. Ladle the soup into serving bowls, sprinkle with the remaining chives and top with a dollop of the yoghurt mixture.
Nutritions of Cauliflower, bacon and split pea soupcalories: 404.388 calories
calories: 12 grams fat
calories: 5 grams saturated fat
calories: 37 grams carbohydrates
calories: 9 grams sugar
calories: 31 grams protein
calories: 38 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 1971.23 milligrams sodium