For the perfect finish, serve this Indian-inspired pea and coconut soup with mini pappadums and fresh coriander and mint leaves.
The ingredient of Indian-spiced mixed pea and coconut soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 long green chilli, seeded, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 cup (100g) green split peas
- 1/2 cup (100g) yellow split peas
- 1/4 cup (50g) basmati rice, rinsed, drained
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 4 cups (1L) salt-reduced chicken or vegetable stock
- 400ml can coconut milk
The instruction how to make Indian-spiced mixed pea and coconut soup
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, chilli and ginger. Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until onion softens. Add coriander, cumin, turmeric and cardamom and cook, stirring, for 1 min or until aromatic.
- Add combined split peas, rice, tomato and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for 40 mins or until split peas are very tender. Remove from heat.
- Use a stick blender to carefully blend the soup until almost smooth. Stir in 350ml of the coconut milk. Season.
- Ladle among serving bowls. Drizzle with remaining coconut milk.
Nutritions of Indian-spiced mixed pea and coconut soupcalories: 431.873 calories
calories: 21 grams fat
calories: 14 grams saturated fat
calories: 40 grams carbohydrates
calories: 8 grams sugar
calories: 17 grams protein
calories: 589 milligrams sodium