A little bacon goes a long way to adding richness and depth to the flavours in this potato and corn soup.
The ingredient of Chunky potato, corn and bacon soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 30g unsalted butter
- 4 slices bacon, rind removed
- 1 leek (white part only), chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1L (4 cups) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 20 small chat potatoes (about 650g), finely diced
- 200g canned corn kernels, drained
- 2 egg yolks
- 300ml sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
The instruction how to make Chunky potato, corn and bacon soup
- Heat oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, add bacon and cook until just starting to crisp. Reduce heat to low, add leek and onion, and cook for 5 minutes or until softened but not browned. Stir in flour and cook, stirring, for a further minute, then add stock. Increase heat to medium-high.
- Add the potatoes to the soup and simmer for 6 minutes or until the potatoes are starting to soften, then stir in corn.
- Mix together egg yolks and sour cream in a bowl, add a little hot soup and combine well. Pour egg yolk mixture back into soup and stir for a further 1-2 minutes over low heat - do not boil.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in parsley just before serving. Serve with herb & cheese damper (see related recipe).
Nutritions of Chunky potato, corn and bacon soupcalories: 618.771 calories
calories: 39 grams fat
calories: 20 grams saturated fat
calories: 48 grams carbohydrates
calories: 6 grams sugar
calories: 17 grams protein
calories: 130 milligrams cholesterol
calories: 1178.4 milligrams sodium