Give your soup a spicy kick with this flavoursome chorizo, kale and barley recipe.
The ingredient of Chorizo, kale and barley soup with walnut pesto
- 1 chorizo, finely chopped
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 zucchini, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g can Coles Brand diced tomatoes
- 4 cups (1L) vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup (65g) pearl barley
- 400g can brown lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1 bunch kale, stems trimmed, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup firmly packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup (25g) walnut halves, toasted
- 1/4 cup (20g) finely grated parmesan
- 1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
The instruction how to make Chorizo, kale and barley soup with walnut pesto
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chorizo. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 mins or until lightly browned. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a bowl.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, zucchini and half the garlic to the pan. Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until onion softens. Return the chorizo to the pan with the tomato, stock and barley. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 mins or until barley is tender and soup thickens slightly. Add the lentils and half the kale and stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, place the basil, walnuts, parmesan and remaining garlic and kale in a food processor. Process until finely chopped. With the motor running, add the oil in a thin steady stream until incorporated. Season.
- Divide the soup among serving bowls. Serve with the walnut pesto.
Nutritions of Chorizo, kale and barley soup with walnut pestocalories: 454.1 calories
calories: 30 grams fat
calories: 6 grams saturated fat
calories: 25 grams carbohydrates
calories: 18 grams protein