Set the slow cooker and come home to this hearty chicken soup. It is loaded with healthy vegetables and leftovers can be eaten the next day for lunch.
The ingredient of Slow cooker gut-healing chicken soup
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 leek, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into 2cm piece
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 350g sweet potato, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 (about 370g) parsnips, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 3/4 cup fresh continental parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 lemons, rind finely grated, juiced
- 60g baby spinach
- Crusty wholegrain bread, to serve (optional)
- 1.8kg whole organic or free-range chicken
- 1 brown onion, halved
- 1 carrot, halved
- 1 celery stick, halved
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 4 fresh continental parsley sprigs
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1L (4 cups) Massel salt reduced chicken style liquid stock
The instruction how to make Slow cooker gut-healing chicken soup
- To make soup base, place all ingredients in a 5.5L slow cooker. Pour in enough water to just cover. Set to Low. Cook, covered, for 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook leek, onion, carrot, celery and garlic for 10-12 minutes or until softened.
- Transfer leek mixture to slow cooker. Cook, covered, for 21 u20442 hours. Add sweet potato and parsnip. Cover. Cook for a further 30 minutes or until chicken is very tender and falling off the bone.
- Transfer chicken to a bowl. Use tongs to remove and discard halved onion, carrot and celery, bay leaves and parsley sprigs. Shred chicken, discarding skin and bones. Return to the bowl. Cover to keep warm.
- Add the zucchini and chopped parsley to the slow cooker. Cook, covered, for 30-40 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in chicken, lemon rind and juice. Season. Cover. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach. Serve with bread, if using.
Nutritions of Slow cooker gut-healing chicken soupcalories: 378.098 calories
calories: 13 grams fat
calories: 3 grams saturated fat
calories: 19.5 grams carbohydrates
calories: 40 grams protein