Give candy canes a festive twist with these cookie versions.
The ingredient of Martha Stewarts candy-cane cookies
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup icing sugar mixture
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond or peppermint essence
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- Red gel food colouring
- White granulated sugar, to decorate
The instruction how to make Martha Stewarts candy-cane cookies
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and icing sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, essence and salt. Beat until combined. Reduce speed to low. Add flour, beating until combined. Divide dough in half. Transfer 1 dough portion to a floured surface. Knead in red food colouring until desired colour is reached. Shape into a square. Cover with plastic. Shape remaining dough into a square. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until firm.
- Divide plain dough into 6 equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 30cm long log. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until firm but pliable. Repeat with red dough. Using 1 plain log and 1 red log, twist together and bend at one end to form a cane. Repeat with remaining logs. Place onto baking paper-lined baking trays, 5cm apart. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 180u00b0C/160u00b0C fan-forced. Bake cookies, for 20 to 24 minutes or until cookies are just firm but not browned. Stand for 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Brush plain section of cookies with water. Sprinkle with granulated sugar, shaking off any excess. Serve.
Nutritions of Martha Stewarts candy-cane cookiescalories: