Impress with this homemade Turkish delight. Start this recipe the day before.
The ingredient of Turkish delight
- 4 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered gelatine
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup cornflour
- Red food colouring
- 3 teaspoons rosewater essence
- 1 cup icing sugar mixture
The instruction how to make Turkish delight
- Grease a 3.5cm, 16cm x 26cm slice pan with oil. Line with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang on all sides.
- Place caster sugar and 1 cup cold water in a large heavy-based saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes or until sugar has dissolved.
- Place candy thermometer in pan. Increase heat to medium. Bring to the boil. Boil, without stirring, occasionally brushing down side of pan with a pastry brush dipped in water, for 18 to 20 minutes or until candy thermometer reaches 116C (soft ball). Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes, maintaining 116C (soft ball) on thermometer. Remove from heat.
- Place gelatine in a heatproof jug. Add hot water, stirring until gelatine dissolves. Place cornflour in a large heatproof bowl. Add gelatine mixture. Stir until smooth. Tint mixture pale pink with red food colouring.
- Gradually add cornflour mixture to hot sugar syrup, whisking until smooth. Place pan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Simmer, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or until mixture is translucent when tested on the back of the spoon. Remove from heat. Strain mixture into a large heatproof bowl. Using a large metal spoon, skim any scum from surface. Stir in rosewater essence. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Stand, uncovered, overnight at room temperature to set.
- Lightly dust a flat surface with icing sugar. Turn out Turkish delight onto prepared surface. Quickly and firmly pull baking paper to remove. Place remaining icing sugar in a bowl. Using a lightly greased knife, cut Turkish delight into 60 pieces. Transfer to bowl. Working in batches, toss to coat in icing sugar (see Notes). Serve.
Nutritions of Turkish delightcalories: 820.726 calories
calories: 0.01 grams fat
calories: 20.7 grams carbohydrates
calories: 0.6 grams protein
calories: 3 milligrams cholesterol